Goffmans Gender Advertisements
1. Identify and explain each of Goffmans gender-specific poses in the selected ads.
2. Sut Jhally re-examines Goffmans analysis of gender inequality 30 years later in “The Codes Of Gender.” Which of Goffmans gender-specific poses does the film highlight? Is Goffmans content analysis still relevant in the 21st century?
3. Extending Goffmans original work, Jhally argues that to fully understand gender inequality/subordination in the media, we must also look at the”codes of masculinity”-What are some of these “codes”?
4. The rationale behind generalizing from a content analysis of advertisements to society at large is that these ads reflect and transmit cultural meanings. What do you think? Do ads reflect “real life”? Or are they simply a sort of fantasy? And, based on your opinion, can we use content like advertisements to discuss real-world issues like gender inequality?
5. Look through some of your friends photos on Facebook or Instagram (or some of your own). Do you see any if the poses that Goffman identifies? Relate this to your discussion in question.
6. What does our class activity say about the relevance of Goffmans analysis?