Study the Case Study on Hitachi, Ltd.given at the top of page 229 of the text (Organizational Insight 8.3). Follow up with research online at Hitachi’s Website. Include Hitachi’s logo in your essay on one of Japan’s biggest and most innovative companies. Write a report on what you discovered regarding their strong corporate culture and how it was formed.
2. Select an organization like a restaurant or department store or electronics store. Analyze how it might pursue (a) a low-cost or (b) a differentiation strategy.
3. How and why do bureaucratic costs increase a company goes from (a) a multidomestic to (b) an international to (c) a global to (d) a transnational strategy?
4. Why is technical complexity greatest with continuous-process technology and how does technical complexity affect organizational structure?
5. Explain the reasons of what makes some tasks more complex than others do. Give an example of an organization that uses each of the four types of technology identified by Perrow. List each one with your explanations.
6. EXERCISE: This module (Chapter 9) discussed some of Henry Ford’s strict labor practices that caused such high turnover. Workers were not allowed to talk on the production line, for example, and he employed detectives to spy n them when they were at home. Answer the following:
a. What limits should be placed on a company’s right to monitor and control its employees form an ethical perspective?
b. What moral rules would you create to help managers decide when, and which actions and behaviors, they have a right to influence and control?