What are the 5 leading causes of death for your State. How do they compare with the 5 leading causes of death for the US?
1. Go to http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/leading_causes_death.html, and select “Leading Causes of Death 1999-2013 for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED)*.”
2. For Report Options, select your State.
3. Scroll down to “Advanced Options” and select “Top 5” as the number of causes.
4. Look at the column on the right, labeled All Ages, to find the top 5 causes of death.
5. Repeat those steps, but select Race, Sex, and specific Age groups on the Report Options to see how/if the leading causes of death vary among differing demographic groups.
6. In an essay, please answer the following:
7. What state did you select?
8. What are the 5 leading causes of death for your State. How do they compare with the 5 leading causes of death for the US?
9. Describe how/if the leading causes of death vary based on different demographic variables such as race, sex, and age. Be specific about which variables you looked at.
10. Based on the findings for your state, what 3 determinants of health would you choose as priorities for health promotion programs? Would you focus your efforts on any specific one?
11. Please explain how those 3 determinants of health affect people’s behaviors in ways that promote well-being. How do they affect people’s behaviors in ways that hinder well-being? Give examples and support your statements with references.