The purpose of this papper is to a) identify a nursing theory,
b) analyze the importance of the selected theory to the nursing profession, c) summarize key concepts and relationships among the concepts of the selected nursing theory,
d) present views of the selected theory on areas of specialization, and e) communicate ideas in a clear, succinct and scholarly manner.
This papper should demonstrate the ability to:
1 .Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to their components, relationships among the components, logic of the propositions, comprehensiveness, and utility to advanced nursing.
2. Communicate the analysis of and proposed strategies for the use of a theory in nursing practice.
3. Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice.
In this 5-6 page paper (not including the title or reference pages in the page count), the introduction contains a few statements about nursing theory in general, identification of
one nursing theory to be used in this paper, and the sections of the paper. The selected nursing theory can be from any of the three types of theories:
• grand theory (e.g., Roy adaptation model),
• middle-range theory (e.g., Benner’s model of skill acquisition),or
• practice theory (e.g., Im’s theory on the pain experience of cancer
1. The first section of the paper is a description of the importance of nursing theory, in general.
2. Key points and inter-relationships of those points of the selected theory are summarized. Biographical or historical information about the selected nursing theory or the nurse theorist is not included.
3. The selected nursing theory’s views or ideas about nursing leadership, nursing education, health policy, or nursing informatics (only one of these specializations) are discussed briefly, using two examples from real life to illustrate the views. Real-life examples come from a student’s own practice or from the scholarly literature.
4. The paper is concluded by presentation of insights gained (what was learned) about nursing theory through writing the paper.