This assignment is intended to assess the following learning outcomes:
3. Evaluate the impact of talent identification on current and future elite performers
4. Critically analyse a development of excellence programme
5. Analyse critically the varied issues affecting the coach working at different levels within the UK
10. Research and compile a case study report
Details of the task
Background: Identification of sporting talent in the UK is increasingly being used across a variety of sports. Previously The Department for Media Culture and Sport (DCMS 2000) suggested that relying on chance or goodwill to identify future sports stars is a thing of the past. Integral to a “Sporting Future for All” is the need for all children, participants and athletes to receive the coaching they need to have fun and fulfil their potential (Sports Coach UK). Sport England currently (2013-2017) invests almost £500 million into 46 National Governing Bodies (NGBs) to promote community and grassroots sport with one of the aims of the funding being to develop coaches and elite level performance within them.
Review the current progress of the Talent Identification (TID) & Talent Development of Excellence programme (TDE) of a Sport England funded National Governing Body (see Table 1).
To achieve this task you will need to:
• Research and discuss succinctly, key relevant academic literature in the area of talent ID and excellence development linked to your chosen sport. Specific reference should be made to the infrastructure of your chosen sport (coaching, facilities, programmes and policies etc) designed to help ensure excellence and the fulfilment of athletic potential
• Present and discuss your chosen sports TID programme and TDE procedures. Specific reference should be made to the structure of TID and TDE, links to athlete maturation, and the role of the coach in identifying and progressing talent etc. Consider comparisons with other sports leading nations talent pathways.
• Identify any shortcomings of your chosen sport achieving excellence and suggest key areas and remedies (alternative models etc) for potential improvement
• Please note: You need to ensure there is adequate information available for your chosen sport to comprehensively cover the task