How will continuation of the project improve health outcomes and healthcare delivery?
Phase 6: Sustainability of the Planned Change Practicum Project
Improving Outcomes, Sustaining Change
When designing and implementing planned change initiatives, sustainability of the process and impact is an essential consideration. In order to keep sustainability at the forefront, proactive, systems-focused thinking is required. These leadership abilities provide a critical foundation as MSN-prepared nurse leaders lead planned change initiatives to improve health outcomes and assure quality.
Continuing a Focus on Quality and Efficiency
During the planning and implementation phases, efforts to optimize quality are carried out through evidence-based interventions, compliance with best practices, and optimizing outcomes to validate effectiveness. When considering the sustainability of a planned change initiative, a focus on quality and efficiency continues as a key theme in the process.
Assuring Essential Resources and Support
In some cases, a planned change initiative may begin as a smaller-scale, ‘pilot’ project. In order to continue and expand the effort, it is important to assure the necessary human, financial, and material resources will be available. Additionally, administrative support may be needed to continue the effort. For example, unit or organizational policies may be necessary to sustain the planned change. Leveraging support from leaders and policymakers will be essential for continuation of your efforts. Thoughtful analysis of the resources and support that will be needed is a critical step in sustaining the project.
Think About It
As you consider strategies to advance the outcomes and sustain the impact of the planned change project, consider the following:
- How will continuation of the project improve health outcomes and healthcare delivery?
- What human, financial, and material resources will be needed to sustain the project?
- What support would be needed to expand the scope of the project?
- How might you leverage support and shore up resources to sustain this initiative?
Practicum Application and Activities
Review the Sustainability of the Planned Change Project Worksheet located in the MSN Toolbox area of the course. Proceed with the following activities. Document your practicum-related activities on the Practicum Log:
- Prepare a plan with specific talking points to meet with your faculty (and practicum mentor if available) regarding sustainability of the planned change project.
- Meet with your faculty (and practicum mentor if available) to discuss the sustainability of the planned change project.
- Complete the Sustainability of the Planned Change Project Worksheet.
- Validate your work on Phase 6 with your faculty (and practicum mentor if available) as needed.
- Submit the Sustainability of the Planned Change Project Worksheet with your time log, once Phase 6 completed.