Chemical substances are all around us. Being aware of what is around you in the environment, your workplace, your home, and so on could be vital. Read the three options below and choose one for this scholarly activity.
Option 1: Access the U.S. OSHA website, www.osha.gov, and look up information about the GHS (Globally Harmonized System) for classifying chemical substances and formulated products.
You have a client who operates a machine tool shop, and one of the employees believes that one of the chemical products in the shop caused a red rash to form on his right arm. You suspect that the employee may have a skin sensitization to one of the chemicals in a product. You suspect one of the products contains methyl methacrylate (CAS# 80-62-6). The CAS# is the chemical abstract service number assigned to the identity of the chemical substance.
- As you check the label of the 55-gallon drum that contains this product, discuss what pictogram and hazard statement would you expect to see to confirm that the product is a skin sensitizer, and why.
- Explain what PPE (personal protective equipment) you would recommend that workers employ while the company seeks to identify an alternative chemical to use in their machine shop operations.
Option 2: Your client operates a transmission repair shop, and you notice that one of the fluids used to clean parts contains methylene chloride (CAS# 75-09-2). Your client is uncomfortable using it in his shop, and he has hired you to tell him what GHS human health hazards are associated with this chemical ingredient. You go out to the internet and research the health aspects of methylene chloride.
- Summarize the following in a table: Include the OSHA health hazards associated with this ingredient, target organs, its status as a potential carcinogen, mutagen, or reproductive toxicant.
- Also, include the PPE that you would advise employees to use to protect themselves if they continue to work with this chemical.
Option 3: A container with a chemical substance has the GHS pictogram of a human torso with an exploding heart, all of which is inside of a red diamond.
- Explain the possible health hazards associated with this pictogram.
- Which of these hazards would cause the employees the most concern, and why?
- If one of the employees talks about experiencing breathing difficulties, what health hazard is indicated by this? Explain your recommendation to management concerning this employee.
Your final product should be a minimum of three pages in length, not including your title page and reference page, and should be in APA style. You are required to use a minimum two scholarly sources, which must be cited and referenced appropriately. Only one of your sources may be your textbook (or other assigned reading source).
Encyclopedias (online or print), message boards, or any sources that can be amended without educated review, such as Wikipedia, are not considered appropriate. Failure to use appropriate resources can lead to deductions. You are encouraged to use the CSU Online Library for scholarly sources. CSU librarians are available to help you with your research for this assignment if you need assistance.