Explain the evolutionary and cultural connections to emotions.
Emotions, Emoticons, and Interpersonal Communication
Actions for ‘Emotions, Emoticons, and Interpersonal Communication
After reading the chapter entitled “Emotions and Interpersonal Communication” that is found in the Week 3 Learning Resources, answer the following questions:
1. Define emotions according to the chapter.
and share whether you are more likely to articulate strong, moderate, or mild emotions.
2. Explain the evolutionary and cultural connections to emotions. Be sure to include examples.
3. Discuss how you can more effectively manage your own emotions and better respond to others emotions. Please visit the “Human Emotions Chart” from the Week 3 Learning Resources and share how having a better vocabulary of emotions could assit in the process.
4. Imagine emoticons being eliminated from computers/technology. Would e-mail, Snapchat, and IM messages change? Would your communication be as effective? Why or why not?
Be sure to respond to at least two of your classmates in a meaningful manner.
Please do not include the discussion instructions in your post and do not include a previous students remarks in your peer response.
Be sure to use proper format with APA citations (both in-text and full references) in all of your posts this semester.
“Human Emotions Chart” :http://humanemotionschart.com/
Emotions and Interpersonal Communication: https://umuc.equella.ecollege.com/file/365e286e-3bd7-4617-b195-fcf6334bb028/1/EmotionsandInterpersonalCommunication.pdf
After reading the chapter entitled “Communication Perception” from the Week 3 Learning Resources, answer only 2 of the 4 questions and be descriptive in your responses.
1. Take a moment to look around wherever you are right now. Take in the perceptual field around you. What is salient for you in this moment and why? Explain the degree of salience using the three reasons for salience discussed in the above chapter.
2. As we organize information (sensory information, objects, and people) we simplify and categorize information into patterns. Identify some cases in which this aspect of the perception process is beneficial. Identify some cases in which it could be harmful or negative.
3. Describe a situation in which you believe the primacy and/or recency effect influenced your perceptions of a person or event. Be descriptive.
4. Has your perception of something ever changed because of exposure to cultural difference? For example, have you grown to like a kind of food, music, clothing, or other custom that you earlier perceived unfavorably?