For the Signature Assignment, you will reflect on a personal learning experience that was more traditional in nature and conceptualize a new way to create that experience using six assumptions about adult learners (Knowles, Swanson, & Holton, 2011).
The six assumptions about adult learners according to (Knowles, Swanson, & Holton, 2011) are:
- Adults need to know why they need to learn something
- The self-concept of adults is heavily dependent upon a move towards self-direction
- Prior experiences of the learner provide a rich resource for learning
- Adults typically become ready to learn when they experience a need to cope with a life situation or perform a task
- Adults’ orientation to learning is life-centered; education is a process of developing increased competency levels to achieve their full potential
- The motivation for adult learners is internal rather than external
Using appropriate APA style headings, include the following sections in your paper:
- Abstract: The abstract will provide the reader with an overview of the paper.
- Introduction: Briefly define andragogy and explain the relevancy of adult learning theories for both adult learners and instructors.
- Traditional Learning Context: For this section of the paper, describe a learning experience or situation in which you were the learner in a traditional learning context. Select a situation in which the lecture or learning experience did not elicit or hold your interest. Use the following questions to help you develop the context:
- What was the setting of the learning experience? College campus? Conference? Business setting?
- Who was the instructor or speaker? What was the subject matter?
- Who was in the audience?
- Were you required to attend or not?
- What was the purpose of the lecture?
- Andragogy Reflection: Knowles, Swanson, and Holton (2015) asserted that traditional learning contexts do not always employ strategies that meet adult learning needs. Compare the traditional learning context that you described above to a hypothetical one that addresses the adult environment. Use the six assumptions to guide your response. From an adult learner perspective, address the following:
- Self-Directing: Discuss what learning outcome(s) would have worked better than the ones presented in the lecture.
- Experience: Describe how your experience in the traditional learning context could have contributed to others’ learning if it had been an adult-centered context, based on the information presented in the lecture.
- Social Role: Convey how the information could have related to your social role.
- Application: State how the information from the traditional learning context would have had immediate application to you if it had been delivered in a manner considerate of the adult environment.
- Internal Motivation: Clarify the need for you to have known the information from a personal perspective.
- Reason for Learning: Explain why you would have wanted to know the information based on your needs.
- Learning Styles: Would it have been h