What issues in this letter relate to the relationship of agency administration, agency staff, and the board of directors of a private not-for-profit or for-profit agency?
Module Five Learning Activity
Your original piece of work for this module:
Read the following letter and answer these questions:
(To) Richard Lafayette, Services Supervisor
I thought it would be a good idea to take a few minutes out from my work here at the firm to inform you of a situation that would appear to want attention at the agency. Three staff members from the agency have contacted me in the last few days. They thought that since I am the President of the Board of Directors that I might be able to help straighten out a concern that they had. All three indicated that they were assigned responsibilities not related to what they were hired to do. They are concerned that they are not trained to do this work and that clients may not receive the level of service they deserve. Also, they feel that they should not be evaluated on tasks for which they are not trained.
You and I know one another well, and Im sure this can be worked out. I wonder if the staff job descriptions reflect these new duties. Will they be evaluated on activities for which they are not trained? Further, these concerns may reflect a larger problem within the agency that of staff morale. It seems that we need to look at this situation seriously. I thought I would direct this matter to you since you are responsible for the agencys service delivery staff. With our continuing efforts to improve the agency, it would seem that this matter should be quickly addressed.
Could you give me a call as soon as you can? Many thanks.
Board of Directors
- What issues in this letter relate to the relationship of agency administration, agency staff, and the board of directors of a private not-for-profit or for-profit agency?
- What principles related to agency management may be relevant here?
Marking Criteria (total of 10 marks):
- Timely completion of learning activities ( /2)
- Demonstrated evidence of completion of module readings ( /2)
- Demonstrated understanding of theoretical frameworks (/2)
- Adherence to academic writing conventions ( /2)
- Has at least two cited references ( /2)