Voice over IP (VoIP) is a set of standards or technologies that support voice and other types of communication over the Internet. Telephony, also known as Internet telephony, is the VoIP application that uses the Internet rather than traditional telephone lines to support voice communication. To place telephone calls using Internet telephony requires a high-speed Internet connection and a service provider. Many cable service providers offer bundles including Internet, telephone, and television. While these bundles offer a price break, there are other lower-cost options for telephony from a variety of providers including Phone Power, Phone.com, and Skype.
Do you already use a communication tool that lets you keep in touch with your friends and family? Skype provides audio and video service that does not require any dedicated hardware. Once you subscribe to this free service, you can use your smartphone or any other type of computer to connect to any other Skype subscribers. The advantages compared to the other providers are that Skype is free for most domestic and international calls, supports video as well as audio, and does not require any special equipment. The disadvantages include that both parties must have their computers on to make or receive calls, calls can only be made between Skype subscribers, although, for an additional fee, you can place calls to non-Skype subscribers; and voice quality and reliability are not as good as traditional telephone communication.
Review the Articles and Videos below, and then respond to the following:
- Have you ever used Skype or a similar service? If so, what service have you used, and what do you typically use it for?
- If you have not used Skype or a similar service, do you expect to in the future? Why or why not?
- Do you currently use VoIP with your Internet provider or any other online service? Why or why not?
- If you do not have a Skype account, create a free one. As an option, you can add one of your classmates or someone you know personally as a contact. You are not required to communicate with another person, but it is helpful to really understand how it works. www.skype.com (Links to an external site.).
- Try a few of Skype’s features after connecting with your classmate, and then describe your experience with those features.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using Skype or a similar service for communication.
Make your initial post of 100 words or more answering and elaborating on the questions above.
- Must meet college level writing.
- Make sure that your postings do not have spelling errors, incomplete sentences, and formatting.
- Please make sure to run a spell check on it before submitting it.