organizational concerns occurring within a private or public healthcare facility.
Description of the Assignment
For this assignment, the student must first select a healthcare policy concern. The concern must be a community-based, public health policy concern. Student may not use healthcare entities or organizational concerns occurring within a private or public healthcare facility. Scholarly evidence supporting the concern must be presented that provides a comprehensive picture of the selected healthcare concern as well as the student-identified solution. The elected official whom the student will interview is also identified in this paper.
Criteria for Content
1. Overview of healthcare policy: This section introduces healthcare policy. It should contain the following elements:
• Define healthcare policy in general and its implications for the nursing profession
• Define the role of advocacy and how it can impact healthcare policy
• Explain how the role of advocacy is consistent with the responsibilities of an advance practice nurse
2. Identification of selected healthcare policy concern: This section provides foundational information regarding the student-selected healthcare policy concern. It should contain the following elements:
• Specifically identify the selected healthcare policy concern
• Description of the impacted population group
• Provide a comprehensive description of the selected healthcare concern by including:
o How frequently does it occur?
o What impact does the selected healthcare concern have upon the community and population group?
3. Description of student-identified solution to the selected healthcare concern: This section presents a comprehensive picture of the student-selected solution to the selected healthcare concern. It should contain the following elements:
• Identify, with specific detail, the solution to the student-selected healthcare concern
• Identify the following areas:
o What would be the positive outcome if the solution was implemented?
o What changes would need to occur in the community to foster implementation?
o What changes would need to occur in the population group to foster implementation?
o What measureable actions will demonstrate a positive outcome if the solution was implemented?
o What might be 2 (two) challenges to implementing the proposed solution and how can each of these challenges be avoided or resolved?
4. Identification of elected official: This section identifies the elected official that the student will present the selected healthcare concern and its solution to. It should contain the following elements:
• The name of the elected official
• The position of the elected official
• Explanation of why this individual was selected
5. Conclusion: This section provides a comprehensive and concise review of the key elements of the assignment.
Preparing the Assignment
Criteria for Format and Special Instructions
1. The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) should be at least 6, but no more than 10 pages. Points will be lost for not meeting these length requirements.
2. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
3. A minimum of 6 (six) appropriate research-based scholarly references must be used of which 2 may be empirical evidence from state and county website data… (Check with your instructor regarding .org or .gov sites). Required textbook for this course, dictionary and Chamberlain College of Nursing lesson information may NOT be used as scholarly references for this assignment. For additional assistance regarding scholarly nursing references, please see “What is a scholarly source” located in the Course Resources tab. Be aware that information from .com websites may be incorrect and should be avoided. References are current – within a 5-year time frame unless a valid rationale is provided and the instructor has approved them prior to submission of the assignment.
4. Ideas and information from scholarly, peer reviewed, nursing sources must be cited must be cited within the text of the paper as well as appearing in the reference list with correct APA format.
5. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.