Assignment 2: Comparing Theories
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 of this week, select any two of the fundamental theories listed below and begin to research the Internet and the Argosy University online library to develop an understanding of the ethical principles mentioned in the theories.
- The Ten Commandments
- The Justification of Human Rights
- Aristotelian Ethics
- International Ethics Standards for Business
- Distributive Justice
- The Entitlement Theory
- Fundamental International Rights
- Model Business Principles
- The Caux Principles
On Saturday, August 31, 2013, write a 5-7 page paper on the comparative study of any two theories from the given list. Your study needs to clearly explain how these ethical principles defend or justify your judgment or rule. Base the points of comparison on the following:
- How are they applicable to a corporate setting?
- Which one would you like implemented the organization that you currently work with (or wish to work with in future) and why?
- Provide detailed examples of organizations where you think any of these theories are applied.
- Identify if the theory you chose is faith-based or secular. Present your rationale for choosing a faith-based/secular ethical theory.
Assignment 3: Choose Ethically
You are the CEO of MetaLife, a major life insurance company that has received negative exposure about deceptive practices in its sales division. It has settled a class actions law suit last month. You received a call from 60 Minutes requesting an interview in regard to the allegations and the pending class action lawsuit. The corporate legal team does not object to the interview, and you feel that it is important not to “hide” from the public eye at this juncture. You agree to be interviewed.
How will you handle this interview? Will you try to defend your company and rationalize what happened in order to play down the ill effects? Will you openly admit to a lack of stringent sales compliance procedure in your company and offer a public apology?
Evaluate the approaches, and outline your approach to the interview explaining why you would choose one approach over the other.
On Sunday, September 1, 2013, conduct online research using the Argosy University online library and the Internet to identify how companies and business leaders have responded to similar situations.
Present your answers in a double-spaced 3 – 5 page paper citing theories and industry references to support your response.