Assignment 1: Drugs—Are They Present or Not?
This assignment involves looking for necessary facts and information in a given scenario. It also looks for your thoughts on the investigation, depending on what you have read in the text.
There is a reported drug house in Centervale. Neighbors call the police and say that numerous vehicles and people arrive at and depart from this house day and night. Many of these people are described as having a questionable look or appearance.
By Saturday, August 9, 2014, in a minimum of 250 words, post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following questions:
- How would you begin the investigation?
- How can you use an informant or an undercover officer?
- Is there any value in searching for prior intelligence?
- Would the types of drugs being sold make a difference in the investigation? Why or why not?
By Wednesday, August 13, 2014, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. Do you agree with their explanations? Why?
Assignment 2: Comparison of Two Burglaries
You have learned about the elements of the crime of burglary. This assignment is designed to expand on two scenarios by having you apply that knowledge as if you were the investigator.
Two burglaries have occurred in Centervale. You, as Detective Emily Watson, are given the assignment to solve these two burglaries.
Residential Burglary 1: The point of entry is the rear door, which is pried open. The office and the master bedroom are ransacked. Money from a safe in the office and jewelry from the bedroom are reported missing. There appear to be glove marks present but no latent fingerprints.
Residential Burglary 2: A broken window is the apparent point of entry. There appears to be a latent fingerprint on the outside of the window but no other identifiable latent evidence. The kitchen and adjacent office seem to be the only areas searched. Money that was kept in a cookie jar is reported to be missing.
Create a 400 to 500-word, double-spaced paper. Use Times New Roman, 12-point font. In your paper, include citations of the references you use in the APA style and answers to the following questions:
- What are the main elements in the crime of burglary?
- What are the differences between the two burglaries?
- What are the possible types of physical evidence at each crime scene?
- How would you document, collect, and package these items of evidence for preservation and future analysis?
- What is the modus operandi of each crime?
- Could the same suspect have committed both crimes? Why or why not?
Use the Argosy University online library and the Internet to find examples of the investigation of each burglary. Include the examples in your paper.
- Save the report as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, August 13, 2014, submit the report to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Analyzed and explained the elements of the crime of burglary and its modus operandi.||
|Described the physical evidence at each of the crime scenes and explained the steps required for its preservation and analysis.||
|Compared the two burglaries, analyzed the evidence correctly, and suggested pointers to relate the two crimes and suspects.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||