- Chapter 2 – Operations and Supply Chain Strategy Text Overview Discussion Questions
- Operations function (pgs. 18 – 20). How is value created by operations and supply chains? (3 pts.)
- Operations Strategies (pgs. 20 – 25). Distinguish amongst them. (4 pts.)
- Corporate and Business Strategies (pgs. 21, 22). Discuss them. (3 pts.)
- Strategic Alternatives (pg. 26 – 28). Distinguish between Imitator and
- Innovator (4 pts.)
- Note: Questions below will not be graded, but can be discussed with me.
- Distinctive Competence (pgs. 24, 25, 28). What is meant by the term?
- Supply Chain Strategy should be aimed at achieving sustainable competitive
- advantage for the entire chain (pgs. 30 – 32). Why shouldn’t each firm’s focus be on themselves?
Chapter 16 – Supply Chain Decisions
Text Overview Discussion Questions
- Supply Chain (pg. 343). Define the term (3 pts.)
- Sketch a working example of the Supply Chain (3 pts.)
- Discuss primary metrics for SC Performance measurement (pg. 347). (4 pts.)
- Extra Credit: SC Risk and Resilience (pgs. 358 – 361). Discuss the 3 aspects
- of a SC Mitigation Framework. Give reasoning for each. (4 pts.)
Note: Question below will not be graded, but can be discussed with me
E. Functional Silos span departments and aspects of a firm (pg. 352). Look at the
PPT set (slide 7) for a representation of them. In the past, these were found to impede cross-functional decision-making (pg. 11). Discuss how this occurs in the real world, with an example.
SCM 371 – Wk. 2 DQ Set Page 1 of 2
SCM 371 Operations Management
- Additional Reading
- Issues in Supply Chain Management: Progress and Potential
- What is a Supply Chain (pg. 5)? (3 pts.)
- Previously, supply chains were thought to be completely independent of one
- another. Now they often use same suppliers and even have same customers
- (pgs. 1, 2, 5, 6, 10). How can firms compete if that takes place? (4 pts.)
- If the supply chain is large, how can the firm effectively manage to improve
- customer loyalty (pgs. 7, 8, 9)? (3 pts.)
- Note: Question below will not be graded, but can be discussed with me. D. How does the consumer benefit from a Supply Chain (pg. 5)?
- Using ISO 14001 to Promote a Sustainable SC Strategy
- What does the standard represent (pg. 71, 73)? (3 pts.)
- How much emphasis should be placed on Competitive Advantage (pg. 72)?
- Discuss why? (3 pts.)
- Extra Credit: Some firms can actually see whether or not their efforts
- facilitate Competitive Advantage. Give two working examples. (4 pts.)