By the end of this activity, you will be able to:
- List and describe the basic steps for conducting scientific research, and know and discuss the research methods that sociologists use and the strengths and limitations of each.
- Summarize the core concepts of sociology and recognize and explain the “sociological imagination” when viewing social phenomena and your own life.
Review the additional reading articles on Crime and Deviance.
For your discussion postings:
- Read and think about: Token sucking was stopped by increasing the penalties and decreasing the opportunities (NY now uses reusable plastic Metrocards, instead of tokens). Three-strike laws can lead to the labeling of individuals and may also increase the severity of crimes.
- Tunnel Vision: The Kiss of Desperation: A Disgusting Practice Vanishes With The Token
then discuss the following questions:
- What do you think of these strategies and these articles?
- Pick a sociological theory and explain how a symbolic interactionist or a conflict theorist might react to these articles and these policies.
- Argue for or against these policies and offer suggestions for change and improvement.