Are feminists correct in believing it is message of female strength and hero creation?
Assignment: What is the primary message (or what are the primary messages) that Rossetti hopes to impart to readers in “Goblin Market”? Are feminists correct in believing it is message of female strength and hero creation? Are social and historical critics correct in suggesting the message is meant to smooth womens entrance into the world of capitalism (the figurative “market”)? Are religious and spiritual theorists correct in arguing that the poem is a representation of the temptation, fall, and redemption of ones spirit? Are conservationists correct in suggesting that its a representation of Rossettis love for nature? Is one of these groups more correct than the others? Are they all correct? Are they all wrong?
Important Miscellaneous Information:
? Students should aim for 7-9 pages of text, not including any graphics (which are optional) and not including the works cited page.
? Your analysis must incorporate at least four different sources, including the text of the poem.
o Please review plagiarism policies in syllabus and remember that plagiarism is not tolerated in any form. Students found to be recycling previous material, copying or misusing copyrighted information, using someone elses work, and/or misleading their audience with ideas, evidence, or thoughts not their own will be referred to the Dean of Literature and Language Arts and, if need be, the Vice President of Instruction. Furthermore, students will forfeit a grade on the assignment or essay that has been plagiarized.
? Final drafts with excessive grammar and punctuation mistakes (5 or more similar problems) will be returned to the author for revision. Revised drafts must be handed in within 2 working calendar days. Students will lose 10% each time a draft is returned and revised.
The Writing Process:
1. Read and listen to Rossettis “Goblin Market.” As you read, make note of passages that seem to be suggesting some larger meaning, some larger message.
2. Review Chapter 7 for method of development when analyzing a subject (119-121)
3. Read Chapter 10 in Writing and Revising intently, noting how to substantiate, support, and present an argument.
4. Read Chapters 5-6 in They Say, I Say and prepare for upcoming discussion board requirements.
5. Read the excerpt provided from Burlinsons article and begin doing extensive research on all possible theories for the “lessons” intended in Rossettis “Goblin Market.” You may find one theory or another more compelling, but please be sure to read through research connected to each theory to be sure that you understand the argument of your opponents. It will make your argument that much more persuasive.
6. Read Chapters 8-10 in They Say, I Say for more help in developing writing skills and completing Essay #3.
7. Review Chapter 11, reminding yourself how these authors suggest that you integrate source material.
8. Be sure to complete the discussion requirements in this unit, as they will prepare you to write and think about Rossettis “Goblin Market.”
9. Complete your first draft by December 1st at midnight and submit it to Blackboard.
10. Complete Peer Review of Essay 4 by December 3rd.
11. Review the poem, the chapters listed above, and wait for my feedback, which should be returned to you within a few days. Review my feedback as well as the feedback provided by your peers.
12. Final Draft of Essay due on December 10th by midnight to Blackboard.
Please understand that you must write at least 7 FULL pages to be eligible for a passing grade on both the first and final drafts of Essay #3. See the class syllabus for more information on this topic.
Your comments on both your first draft and final draft will discuss the items listed above; however, scores will be provided holistically.